– Michael Thompson: Caught up with 2018 St. Louis, MO (Parkway North) DT Michael Thompson who let me know Lincoln Riley recently reached out to him. Thompson let me know he has scheduled an official to OU for the Jan 19 weekend. Thompson, 6’3.5″ & 291-pounds holds offers from programs like Alabama, LSU, Missouri, Ohio State and USC among others. Also holds an OU offer.
He lines up at NG and the 4i in Parkway North’s 3/4 defense as you will see on his film. Has the frame and length you look for that fits the 3/4. Supposed to catch up with him later tonight to find out more then.
– S&C Coach: Looks like the names of some of the candidates for the next OU S&C coach are beginning to get out. Former Texas & Texas Tech S&C coach, Bennie Wylie’s name has been mentioned by Soonerscoop.com as a potential candidate.
Per my sources, Wylie is expected to be the Sooners next S&C coach. It is my understanding that the decision will be announced to the team on Tuesday.
Also, I know many of you have asked about current assistant S&C coach, Mahala Wiggins. I’m told he will be retained. He is a favorite within the program.
It’s also worth mentioning, and some of you may remember this, that four years ago I wrote a brief post mentioning Bennie Wylie as someone the OU staff should consider hiring. You can read it here. – (Super K)
– OU is really starting to feel good about their chances with 2019 Georgia preps WR Jadon Haselwood. As we have stated before, Haselwood has deep roots in Oklahoma and is a Sooners fan. Haselwood is currently committed to Georgia, but is expected to take an official visit to OU this spring with his mother.
The reason it will only be his mother visiting with him is that she has never been to OU and his dad, Jeremy (attended OU and die hard fan) has visited with Jadon before. Jadon and his father want her to see what they both have raved about to her. If things go well, it could get very interesting in the recruiting battle between UGA and the Sooners.
– As we were first to report, Oklahoma will be hosting Alabama LB/DE commit Vernon Jackson on an official visit later this month. Sources also tell me that Oklahoma will be doing an in-home with Jackson this coming Monday.
Oklahoma really is looking to see where Jackson might fit with them. His size and frame says he could grow into a 3 or 5 tech down the line. Jackson is a great athlete; when he starts focusing on just football, he could really add some good weight in a college S&C program.
– As our guy Alex King was first to report, 2018 St. Louis (MO) defensive lineman Michael Thompson is visiting Oklahoma next weekend. Thompson is a perfect fit for nose guard at the college level, already measuring 6’3” and 300lbs+. I spoke with a source on the OU side about Thompson and learned that some see him as an offensive lineman, while others see him as a defensive lineman. A source on the OU side said that Thompson is, “a great athlete. He would be good on either side of ball. Guys like that are who you want playing nose guard. Maulers that can get penetration and manhandle offensive lineman.”
If Oklahoma can get Thompson to join his friend, and OU signee, Ronnie Perkins, it will be another big get in the depth building and talent upgrade Oklahoma has been working on in the last couple of recruiting cycles.
– Lastly, I spoke with Bellview (FL) offensive tackle Michael Tarquin this evening and he told me that he will be attending the Sooners’ junior day next Sunday. Tarquin is considered one of the top offensive lineman the country and holds offers from Ohio State, Miami (FL), Michigan, FSU, and Clemson, to name a few. We will have more on him, but let’s just say OU has themselves in a really good spot with Tarquin.
– Nothing concrete just yet on Ojomo and Tank. We are told that Tank’s visit couldn’t have gone better and we plan on speaking with him this week to find out what might be the hold up on a commitment. Moro would still like to take visits.