Image via Tulsa World
Bob Stoops may or may not ever get around to posting an updated depth chart before the season opener — the one currently listed on the official website is from prior to the Sugar Bowl — so we figured we’d go ahead and put a projection together or what OU’s two-deep could look like. This is simply a projection on our part past on a number of things that have been reported throughout the spring/summer both here on TFB and elsewhere.
As you’ll see in reading over what we’ve put together, there may be some names missing you were expecting to be included. Or possibly a name or two you weren’t expecting we have in there. Either way we’ll attempt to clarify some things below as to the reasoning behind how we sorted things out.
* I suspect one of, if not the first names you’re looking for and not seeing is Dorial Green-Beckham. I think it goes without saying, based on his immense talents and how we’ve heard reps have been split in practice, were he to be cleared by the NCAA that he’d be listed as a starter. But as it stands today we don’t know if he’ll be available, either or the La Tech game, later in the season, or for any part of the season. So at least for now we’ve chosen to not include him.
* Much like the point above, as things currently sit the implication seems to be Frank Shannon will be available until some type of ruling is made on his appeal of the university’s decision to suspend him for one year. That could certainly change, possibly in the near future, and most of you know if that happens Jordan Evans would be his replacement.
* For the defense, we probably could have included multiple versions of a depth chart for the variety of formations OU is expected to employ. But for simplicity’s sake, we simply left it as is and figured we’d address things here. As many of you have read here a number of times now, the expectation is when OU shifts to their 3-3-5 (or some variation thereof) Q.Hayes will move over to the nickel and Steven Parker will take his spot at strong safety. With the talent at Mike Stoops’ disposal, OU will have the luxury of doing any number of different things on defense this season at any given time. Thus putting something like this together becomes a little more difficult, which is simply to say don’t take this as a black-and-white statement expecting the defense to line up like we have it listed above every single down.
* Decided to take M.Stoops at his word with respect to Jordan Thomas.
* By all accounts, Ford and Ross are pretty much interchangeable as the “starting” running back, hence our inclusion of the ‘OR.’
* At wide receiver, Jeffery Mead’s name could be a bit of a surprise as a true freshman. But he has definitely impressed the coaches since arriving on campus. Third team slot WR could be any number of players at this point, especially if they move Shepard inside some, so Andrews was admittedly a bit of a guess on our part.
So that’s what we came up with, but we definitely want to hear from you. Where might you agree with us? Or even disagree? Are there any other names we haven’t mentioned that you expected to be included? Hit us up with your comments below and, as always, thank you for reading!