– Calvin Anderson: The Sooners were expected to visit Rice left tackle grad transfer, Calvin Anderson this past Wednesday. However, the visit from OU was delayed and Anderson tells us that he is expecting coach Bedenbaugh to be in Houston to see him this morning (Friday).
Anderson will take a official visit to this weekend. If the Sooners push for a visit, I expect Anderson to make a trip up to Norman. – (Super K)
– Caught up with 2018 CA DE, Jeremiah Martin on Wednesday and he told us that coach Kish and coach Thibs went by to do a in-home visit with him. Martin will visit Utah and Oregon before he makes a decision.
There is a rumor that Martin may have given TAMU a silent commitment but we are checking on that.
– Also, checked in with the father of 2018 CA MLB Solomon Tuliaupupu (Solo) who tells me that they are still scheduled to take a official visit to Oklahoma next weekend. Solo’s father let me know that the Sooners stopped by to see visit on Wednesday. Solo is in Hawaii for the Polynesian bowl but the Sooners coaches, again, met with Solo’s father.
Solo’s father also tells me that the final official visit will be to USC or Ohio State. I also, wanted to add that the family places a high emphasis on a program’s S&C program. So, I’ll be checking to see what they think of the new S&C hire. – (Super K)
– Michael Thompson: Was finally able to catch up with Michael Thompson. As most of you already know he will be taking an official to OU this weekend but there have been some questions about where he is being recruited at this time. Some have said at NG while others have thought possibly at OG. I asked him to which he replied with a simple, “DL”.
He let me know he will be coming to Norman with his Mom for the visit. Asked him what it is he is wanting to see out of Oklahoma while on the visit.
“Just want to see if I’m comfortable around the players and the coaches,” Thompson said.
In a way, from where I’m sitting this seems to come across in a positive manner for Oklahoma. He didn’t say he wants to see how they will use him in their defense or their depth chart or even how their facilities match up with others (obviously not an issue now with their upgrades). Obviously the Sooners have Ronnie Perkins in Thompson’s ear which can’t hurt. Also the fact that OU played a lot of freshman last year and lose multiple guys along the defensive front this year, could be intriguing for him as well. Or looking at it the other way, could just be someone wanting to take all his visits.
Either way the Sooners will need to roll out the red carpet this weekend which they haven’t had a problem doing since Lincoln Riley has taken over as Head Coach.
After this visit to Oklahoma, Thompson did let me know he is also planning to visit Miami.
We are hoping to get an update from him after his visit to try and get a better overall picture of where OU stands with him. – (Alex)
– DaShaun White: On Wednesday night I spoke with Dashaun White and was told that A&M defensive coordinator Mike Elko did an in-home with him on Wednesday night. This wasn’t TAMU’s first attempt at doing a in-home visit. On Sunday the Aggies tried to press for a in-home visit and White initially agreed but promptly cancelled, “I cancelled. I didn’t want to and told [Terry] Price…I called it off when I woke up. I didn’t see a point in it”
Still, TAMU wouldn’t relent.
Elko made a unannounced visit Wednesday night, “He’s a good guy but…I didn’t exactly ask for him to come by and I’d been telling [Terry] Price I didn’t want to do any visits and he (Elko) just showed up today”.
I asked White if he is considering a return trip to Texas A&M to which he said, “They want me to but I highly doubt it. Mom came around to OU…so there’s not really any reason to be swaying anymore”.
White added that he feels OU is exactly what is best for him.
Last night White had an in-home with Sooners LB coach Tim Kish. Also, as we previously reported, White is expected to take a trip up to Norman this weekend. I don’t foresee White looking around at all.
His visit this weekend comes at a good time with OU bringing in Michael Thompson, who White got acquainted with at Army All American Game earlier this month , and Junior Day on Sunday. He will be in full recruiter mode in hopes to add to more talent joining him in Norman for 2018 and 2019 classes. – (Brandon)
– I exchanged text messages with recent OU visitor, Tank Jenkins. Jenkins says he may be taking a visit this upcoming weekend but has yet to respond on which school he’s visiting. With Auburn OL coach, Herb Hand, leaving for Texas, I wouldn’t surprised to see Auburn jump back in the mix. But for now, it does give a bit of insight into why Jenkins may have held off on committing to Oklahoma this past weekend. – (Super K)
– I continue to hear good things about the Sooners and Moro Ojomo…
— Moro Ojomo™ ⁶? (@ojomooo) January 17, 2018
I will say however, I’m still a bit cautious since it was Ojomo’s first official visit. I can tell you though that based on what I heard from folks on various sides of this thing that Ojomo really enjoyed himself.
Ojomo says that this weekend he will take a official visit to Notre Dame followed next weekend by a trip to UT. I know there are a lot of folks who believe TAMU is a big threat, but I do not see that at all. Ojomo hasn’t even committed to taking a official visit there. This one is a OU vs. UT battle in my opinion.
Alex checked with a source on the OU side and was told that Oklahoma would actually take both Ojomo and Michael Thompson. So, OU has no problem loading up on the defensive line. – (Super K & Alex)
– Alabama commit, Vernon Jackson is taking visits and though it keeps looking like the Sooners are finally going to get a official visit, it just doesn’t seem to come to fruition. It’s looking like his expected visit this month will not happen.
Andrew spoke with Jackson after his recent Texas visit and apparently did not mention OU at all. Andrew tells us that Jackson says he plans to OV to Alabama this weekend followed by trips to TCU and Texas A&M. No mention of the Sooners. Not sure yet if Oklahoma has received the memo as they made a recent trip down to see Jackson. – (Andrew & Super K)
— action_jackson™ (@vjackkk) January 15, 2018
– Coach Michael Johnson over at Bishop Dunne let me know that Sooners DB coach, Kerry Cooks stopped by Wednesday to see guys like 2019 DBs Brian Williams and Marquez Beason.
– Michael Tarquin: Oklahoma has really started to make inroads into the Sunshine State in last several years. They hope that success continues in the 2019 class and with 2019 Ocala (FL) offensive lineman, Michael Tarquin, and it’s lookimg like that could be the case.
Tarquin has offers frol Ohio State, Florida, Michigan, Clemson and others to go along with Oklahoma. Tarquin made several unofficial visits to Ohio State during the season. One of those visits happened to be on September 9th when OU beat Ohio State at “The Shoe”. He has also made visits to Clemson, Miami and South Carolina unofficially over the last year.
With all of those visits, under his belt, Tarquin wants to make a decision this spring. Luckily, Oklahoma will be getting a visit this weekend, from the star OL, for OU’s JR Day on Sunday.
Tarquin tells me that OU and Ohio State are “pretty much” his top two. His relationship with Coach Riley and Coach Bedenbaugh have made a massive impression on him.
After speaking with Tarquin I came away with the sense that OU will need to make up ground on Ohio State since he’s visited the Buckeyes on three different occasions. All three were for games in Columbus.
Michael and I are set to speak after his unofficial to Norman, so we should have a clearer picture where OU stands then. I fully expect OU to put on a great show for the JR Day and Tarquin, at the very least, come away with something to think about. – (Brandon)
– Stacey Wilkins: Earlier this week I confirmed with 2019 Camden, AR (Camden Fairview) OT Stacey Wilkins that he was invited and will be attending the Sooners upcoming Jr Day this Sunday. I was recently able to speak with him on the phone to chop it up a little with him and find out more about him. He currently stands around 6’7″ and 280-pounds and holds offers from Arkansas, Arkansas State, Louisiana Tech, Louisiana Monroe and Memphis among others. Oklahoma State and Texas have also been in contact with Wilkins and he stated he is planning to visit the Longhorns for their Jr Day on Feb 17 and will look to visit Stillwater in the summer time.
Oklahoma and Coach Bedenbaugh have been in contact with him for a while now and Wilkins says he and Bedenbaugh have some sort of contact via DM on a daily basis. He is coming to Norman with his Head Coach and an assistant coach on Saturday. On this visit he is really wanting to get more of a feel for the staff as a whole. His interest in Oklahoma sounds legitimate obviously and an offer could really put them in a strong position in his recruitment.
Wilkins let me know he did grow up in Arkansas but was actually born in California. Another thing to know is he has some big time football bloodlines in his family as his pops is a former TE who set records at Camden Fairview HS before going on to play JUCO ball in California. Which then led him to the NFL for a short time with the San Francisco 49ers.
And on top of that he has two cousins that played OL in the SEC and in the NFL in Shawn Andrews, a consensus All-American OT at Arkansas where he played from 2001-2003. Then went on to be a 1st Round pick for the Philadelphia Eagles and was a Pro-Bowler. And Shawn’s older brother, Stacy Andrews was an OG at Ole Miss back in 2002-2003 and then followed that up with a 7-year career in the NFL playing for the Bengals, Eagles, Seahawks and Giants. Some impressive football history in his family.
Wilkins has a long and lean frame with long arms and bends well in pass pro. Flashes good feet and agility that you want in a LT. He is definitely raw technique wise but you definitely can see he has a high ceiling. Will be interesting to see where he stands with OU after this visit. – (Alex)
– Treveon Johnson: Caught up with WR commit Treveon Johnson (who seems as cool as the fan) to see just where everything stands with him and OU knowing he has an official to Arkansas coming up this weekend. In case you missed it, here was a tweet I put out this week trying to bring some comedy to the situation.
#Sooners WR Commit Treveon Johnson (@TKJ_11) has added 2 SEC offers and has an official currently lined up for this weekend to Arkansas. So WRs @CoachSimmonsOU says cool, I'll just post up in your living room until NSD. #OU pic.twitter.com/wPUn2BeNwg
— Alex King (@AKing_TFB) January 18, 2018
This is what Johnson sent me when I asked if OU was staying in constant contact with him know this visit is coming up, which was his position coach at OU sitting in his living room at the time. So it’s obvious the Sooners are making sure to let Johnson know he is still a priority in this class. However, turns out the visit to Arkansas may not be his last official he takes as he said he is thinking about taking one to Tennessee as well, who just offered this week. In the past the Oklahoma staff would not have been ok with visits taking place after a commitment has been made but it sounds like that could possibly be changing.
“Yeah they didn’t trip because I’ve already spoken to them about it,” Johnson said.
One of the things I wanted to ask though was how solid would he says he is to his OU commitment and how much interest does he have else where taking these visits.
“I’m like 95% (solid to OU),” he said. “I love OU. All the coaches know I just don’t want to let my official visits go to waste.”
Doesn’t sound too concerning at this point but still makes you wonder if that missing 5% could sway him else where. Also of note, Johnson said he will be re-taking his ACT in February after just recently taking it for the first time.
– Spencer Webb: This past weekend Oklahoma extended an offer to 2018 Sacramento, CA (Christian Brothers) TE & Oregon commit, Spencer Webb. The 6’5″ and 235-pound prospect committed to Oregon back in April of last year. But since then, changes have come to Eugene. Then Head Coach Willie Taggart is now the Head Coach at Florida State and then Co-OC, Mario Cristobal has taken over as head coach.
I reached out to see if Webb had any interest in possibly taking an official before signs on the dotted line. It does sound like it may be a possibility but won’t be decided until after he takes his official to Oregon this upcoming weekend.
“I have to see how my official visit goes tomorrow to Oregon. I will know how solid everything is after my trip. Lots to learn about the Oregon program and the direction it’s going with Coach Cristobal. But I’ve had a good talk with coach Riley about the program and what there thoughts are about me,” Webb stated.
The contact between Webb and OU just recently began and along with Head Coach Lincoln Riley, Webb says he has also been in contact with Co-OC & Inside WRs Coach Cale Gundy. At this point until after this weekend we won’t know where the Sooners stand on if they will or won’t get an official visit but we will try to stay on top of the situation.
Webb’s film shows a big target with a wide catch radius. Has the speed to attack down field but also love the quick feet he shows off the LOS to help create separation. Lines up in line and split out wide and shows he’s a willing and able blocker that is physical at the point of attack.
If Riley and the Sooners are able to get him down to Norman on an official, got to think they’d have a good chance with what they do and have done at the TE position. – (Alex)
– Jr Day This Weekend: Here is our updated list of prospects who have stated they will be in attendance on January 21.
Andrew Raym – 2020 OT, Broken Arrow, OK (6’4″/275) OU Commit
Austin Stogner – TE, Plano, TX Prestonwood Christian (6’6″/230) OU Commit
Chance Cover – LB, Fort Worth, TX Nolan Catholic (6’2″/220) A tackling machine that is vastly underrated when you watch his film. Love the physicality when taking on blockers.
Cole Birmingham – OL, Katy, TX (6’5″/285) Road grader who blocks to the whistle. Like him at Guard in college.
Cole Mashburn – OLB/DE. Norman, OK Norman North (6’3″/240) Good athlete with length and closing speed off the edge. Has a motor and shows he can bend. In Sooners back yard.
Drew Sanders – 2020 ATH, Colleyville, TX Colleyville Heritage (6’5″/220) OU Commit
Dylan Wright – WR, Mesquite, TX West Mesquite (6’3″/192) Big, physical WR with a great frame. Impressive speed for size and flashes GREAT hands. True Red-Zone threat. OU Offer
EJ Ndoma-Ogar – OG, Allen, TX (6’2.5″ /305) Recently won the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Combine MVP after putting on a dominant performance. OU Offer
Garrett Wilson – WR, Austin, TX Lake Travis (6’0″/178) Dynamic play maker with ball in his hands. Excellent route runner with speed & YAC ability. Games easy for him. Expect offer.
Jase McClellan – 2020 RB, Aledo, TX (5’9.5″/194) OU Commit
Jeffery Carter – 2019 CB, Aledo, TX (6’0″/180) OU Commit
Kameron Brown – WR/DB, Colleyville, TX Colleyville Heritage (6’0″/170) UCLA commit. +++Route runner/Ball skills/Range at Safety. Father played CB for the Dallas Cowboys. Offers from all over. Offer at WR or DB?
Marcus Stripling – DE, Houston, TX Mayde Creek (6’2.5″/260) Explosive & fluid athlete off the edge with a big frame. Impressive burst/closing speed around the corner. OU Offer
Nana Osafo-Mensah – OLB/DE Fort Worth, TX Nolan Catholic (6’4″/227) Huge framed kid and LENGTH to disrupt passing lanes. See more DE than OLB on film. Will be 260+ quickly. OU Offer (Added)
Stacey Wilkins – OT, Camden, AR Camden Fairview (6’7″/280) Long & Lean frame with long arms. Flashes basketball type feet & agility at times. See the potential there.
Michael Tarquin – OT, Belleview, FL. Discussed above.