– New Defensive Line Name to Know| Will Choloh: Yesterday, Sooners HC Lincoln Riley was in touch with an interesting DL prospect in Will Choloh out of Archer HS in Lawrenceville, GA. The 6’1″ and 277-pound prospect is currently committed to Troy. Finished his SR season with an astounding 68-tackles, 49-TFLs and 8-Sacks on the year.
Riley reached out to him to see if Choloh would be interested in taking a visit though no offer was extended at this time. However, Choloh is still interested in getting to Norman.
“Yes, if we can figure out a date, yes,” he said.
When you watch Choloh’s film you see a prospect with a low center of gravity and powerfully built lower half. This alone can make it difficult for OL to move due to inability to get leverage. But on top of that he has violent hands and is powerful. Maybe the most impressive thing though is his athleticism and fluidity as he moves extremely well for such a stocky build. Explosive off the ball with an impressive closing burst. Even lines up at FB and runs routes out of the back field. Plays in a 3/4 where you see him lined up at the 3-tech often and even standing up off the edge.
When I asked him if Riley mentioned where they like him at position wise his answer was interesting…
“I don’t know what position. But when coach Riley was at Archer some weeks ago he said that I was a unique athlete and loved my tape.”
With the skill set he brings he’s a guy you could use in different roles. Understand the lack of height/length will raise concerns but man there is a lot to like on his tape.
Will be keeping in touch with him and if/when a visit date is set we will let you know. – (Alex)
– Jerry Schmidt: On Monday, we posted some notes on the donor board about the possible departure of Sooners S&C coach, Jerry Schmidt. We are told that Texas A&M has been pursuing coach Schmidt. The word we heard is the deal was close but not yet signed as of yesterday. We continue to hear that he is unlikely to return to OU. Again, the latest is that papers between Schmidt and Texas A&M have not yet been signed but folks on the OU side are preparing for him not to return. – (Super K & Brandon)
– Sooners are deciding if they will go after a JUCO NG to replace Lampkin. I’m told one of the guys they have been looking at is Pima Community College NG, Tony Fair. I spoke with a coach over at Pima who tells me Tony is a true NFL 6’3 and played this season at 350 lbs!
I’m told Tony has some work to do in order to graduate and be able to enroll somewhere for the fall season. Tony let me know that if OU offers he will load up on classes in order to finish.
He certainly has the body type you’d like to see. Probably just needs to shed some pounds. – (Super K)
– Another guy to keep on eye on is Tyree Wilson. He’s a 2018 DE out of West Rusk High school who is currently committed to Texas A&M. Very high upside kid. Texas and Florida recently offered. He’s 6’5.5 230 lbs. I’m told by a staff member at West Rusk that Tyree will take visits to TCU, Texas and Arkansas. If the Sooners were to offer I believe he’d take a visit there as well. – (Super K)
– Spoke with Sooners DE target, Jeremiah Martin (CA) earlier. He tells me that he has not spoken with Thibs in a few days but we spoke to a source on the OU side who says the Sooners will be out to visit Martin next week. Martin tells me he will take his final two official visits to Utah and Oregon. Sources on the Texas A&M side still feel like they are the team to beat. Martin said, coach Elko and coach Price will be out to see Martin next week. – (Super K & Brandon)
– Junior Day: Wanted to pass along a initial list of prospects who have stated they will be in attendance for the first jr day which is will be later this month.
Austin Stogner – TE, Plano, TX Prestonwood Christian (6’6″/230) OU Commit
Chance Cover – LB, Fort Worth, TX Nolan Catholic (6’2″/220) A tackling machine that is vastly underrated when you watch his film. Love the physicality when taking on blockers.
Cole Birmingham – OL, Katy, TX (6’5″/285) Road grader who blocks to the whistle. Like him at Guard in college.
EJ Ndoma-Ogar – OG, Allen, TX (6’2.5″ /305) Recently won the U.S. Army All-American Bowl Combine MVP after putting on a dominant performance. OU Offer
Garrett Wilson – WR, Austin, TX Lake Travis (6’0″/178) Dynamic play maker with ball in his hands. Excellent route runner with speed & YAC ability. Games easy for him. Expect offer.
Llyod Murray Jr. – NG/DT, Wichita Falls, TX Hirschi (6’2″/310) A clogger in the middle who flashes power in his hands & is hard to move.
Marcus Stripling – DE, Houston, TX Mayde Creek (6’2.5″/260) Explosive & fluid athlete off the edge with a big frame. Impressive burst/closing speed around the corner. OU Offer
More names to come. – (Alex)
– Tavion Thomas: There have been lots of rumors swirling over Tavion Thomas’ chances to qualify. I spoke with Thomas last night about that very fact and he told me, “The hold up for me is just the ACT.”
Thomas has been tweeting some JUCO offers as of late and that really lit a fire under the rumor. Thomas said “It’s just a plan B, you know?” One of the offers was from East Mississippi Community College, the same school featured in Netflix ‘Last Chance U’ series.
I spoke with several sources about Thomas over the last month or so and all of them seem to feel he will get it done, but Oklahoma wasn’t going to allow him to sign on the early signing period because of his standing right now.
The closer we get to to spring we will have a better understanding where Thomas stands. – (Brandon)